Any moment You’re in need of a recipe, Chances are you can Find a great One on her site. So since you are able to observe that this is quite a versatile recipe. Its also informative for people who are interested in recipes. This particular recipe is generated with frozen veggies and instant potatoes. There are an endless number of recipes for a amazing shepherds pie. Cottage Pie recipes have also experienced this specific tasty evolution.
By now your potatoes should be tender. If you have leftover mashed potatoes then you will have the ability to make this recipe even faster!
Its an ideal recipe to create anytime you’re looking for some hearty and This meal can easily be made from sweet potatoes in the event you want to steer clear of white potatoes. Throw in any additional ingredients you enjoy to create this classic meal even more reassuring! In fact, you would like to avoid a compartmentalized meal, using a key dish and several sides. Whatever you do, this is a superb meal.Casserole-type dishes are a wonderful means to cook a good deal of food simultaneously. It’s likely to also top this dish with any cheese you want. Throughout the years this casserole dish has been created so many times. This dish is now a staple in my home, but not the traditional kind with lamb filling, since you can see. Although typically for people, with a few tweaks it makes a excellent meal for dogs also! Furthermore, it makes this a superb low-carb dish that’s also considerably less stodgy than the first. In any case, you end up with less dirty dishes and much less overall cooking time.
The recipe is not a truly traditional one however. Is the perfect comfort food and an exceptional way to use leftovers. It uses a special type of sweet potato called Japanese sweet potatoes for the topping. It’s definitely one of those dishes which may be made beforehand, and it gets better while it waits. This simple shepherds pie recipe is a superb recipe that you make in just a few minutes and everybody will love!
Shepherds pie was my all-time biggest favorite issue to eat growing up. It Is one of these pretty-much-perfect weeknight dinners, for an assortment of reasons. It’s an unbelievable comfort food. It’s usually made with ground lamb, but for a simple, convenient, low cost, and healthier alternative, we’re swapping the lamb for French Green Lentils.
Shepherds Pie was originally called Cottage Pie. It’s one of our familys favourite foods. It’s Wonderful for family dinners or company. It’s just the ticket. Alton Browns Shepherds Pie is one of those recipes.
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), peeled and quartered
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1-2 cups vegetables—diced carrots, corn, peas
- 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes.
- Sauté vegetables: While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes. If you are including vegetables, add them according to their cooking time. Carrots should be cooked with the onions, because they take as long to cook as the onions do. If you are including peas or corn, add them toward the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat starts to cook, as they take very little cooking time.
- Add the ground beef, then Worcestershire sauce and broth: Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables. Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out.
- Mash the cooked potatoes: When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the meat mixture and mashed potatoes in a casserole dish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the beef, onions, and vegetables (if using) in an even layer in a large baking dish (8×13 casserole). Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef. Rough up the surface of the mashed potatoes with a fork so there are peaks that will get well browned. You can even use a fork to make creative designs in the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in oven: Place in a 400°F oven and cook until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. If necessary, broil for the last few minutes to help the surface of the mashed potatoes brown.
Suggested variations :
- Put a layer of creamed corn between the ground beef and the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes before baking.